2018-2019 Americorps Position, Home Repair Assistant
COVER Home Repair, White River Junction, VT
Contact John Heath, Home Repair Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is part of the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board AmeriCorps (VHCB AmeriCorps). The VHCB AmeriCorps program supports the innovative dual-goal approach to creating stable affordable housing opportunities for Vermont residents while preserving the natural and working landscape. VHCB is a national service program that places AmeriCorps members with non-profit housing or land and energy conservation organizations around the state.
COVER’s mission is to foster hope and build community in the Upper Valley. We do this by bringing together staff, volunteers and homeowners in fellowship to complete urgently needed home repair projects and to facilitate the effective reuse of household goods and building materials. The goal of the position is to facilitate building community through the process of volunteer-assisted home repair.
- Be interested and enthusiastic about learning carpentry, weatherization and other aspects of the building trades
- Be interested and enthusiastic about working with volunteers and with homeowners with sensitivity to issues of culture and class
- Assist lead carpenters at construction sites – repairing homes, building accessibility ramps, repairing roofs and floors
- Prepare materials and tools for jobsites, including ordering and picking up materials
- Work with volunteers to complete home repair
- Organized workshop and inventory materials
- Work with volunteer coordinator to improve website – taking pictures, blogging
- Few Functions are Marginal: The Home Repair Assistant needs to be capable of a wide range of tasks: construction, educating volunteers, planning construction activities, recruiting volunteers, coordinating with homeowners, facilitating meals on construction sites. See above or call for details. COVER is a flexible workplace, but also an extremely small staff. Everyone is expected to participate in all of these activities. Appropriate training and supervision are provided.
- Interest in Construction
- Enthusiasm for mission
- Strong interest in construction. Ability to lift and carry 35 lbs.
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written
- Good driving skills and good record
- Ability to self-organize and work independently
- Be US citizen (or have permanent resident status; call with questions about this);
- Be at least 18 years of age upon entering the Pre-Service Orientation (there is no upper age limit), or 17 years of age with written parental permission that has been verified by phone;
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED certificate, or be willing to work towards their GED as part of their service-year successful completion requirement. A member cannot have dropped out of high school to join AmeriCorps. If a member has a documented medical reason/professional opinion why they cannot finish high school, they might be eligible; call in this case;
- Has not been convicted of murder or sexual assault and is willing to undergo an National Service Criminal History Check
- Be committed to the VHCB AmeriCorps program, and its ethic of service and personal and professional development of its participants;
- Have the ability and enthusiasm to drive to, attend, and participate in required trainings and events, and be prepared to drive up to 2-3 hours each way.
- Willingness to participate in support and collaborate with fellow VHCB AmeriCorps members, and members from other AmeriCorps Programs.
- Willingness to participate in a self-designed Independent Service Project and other VHCB AmeriCorps Program Initiatives.
Position begins September 6th 2018 and ends end date August 10th 2019
This position is Minimum Time: Requires 1700 hours of service. Member will receive a living allowance of $17,850 (pre-tax), and an education award of $5815 (pre-tax) upon successful completion of service. Other benefits include federal school loan forbearance, and various training opportunities.
This position (check one)
Have recurring access to vulnerable populations (youth, persons over 60, individuals with disabilities).
To Apply: http://www.vhcb.org/americorps/menu_events/positions/
For questions about this position or to send additional materials:
John Heath COVER Home Repair
158 South Main Street White River Junction
john@coverhomerepair .org 802 296 7241 Ext 103
Application deadline: August 20th
Additional information on AmeriCorps is available at www.americorps.org.
The Vermont Housing & Conservation Board (VHCB) is sponsoring this AmeriCorps position through their AmeriCorps Program. VHCB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Positions are open to all applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran’s status, religion or creed.