We welcome you to try it out for a day! No experience is necessary. You can volunteer for home repair, or in The ReCOVER Store.
Home Repair and Weatherization
- Each home repair workday is 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, weatherization workdays vary in length.
- At each jobsite all tools, materials, safety gear, and lunch for the crew are provided.
- To volunteer on a COVER jobsite no prior experience with the work or tools is necessary.
- You are welcome to sign up for one day at a time.
- COVER’s home repair programs rely on Volunteers in order to complete our scheduled projects that have met our project criteria and have been through a COVER site visit. We typically engage over 300 volunteers/year. When volunteering on home repair and weatherization projects we offer you an opportunity to learn from skilled Work Leaders or to share the skills you already have and engage in meaningful work that will make a difference in someone’s everyday life.
- If you are a skilled trades person and would like to offer your volunteer time specifically with those skills (electrician, plumber, skilled carpenter), please let us know.
- When you volunteer in the store you help all of our programs as the store provides funding for our Home Repair and Weatherization programs.
- Store volunteering can be any time that we are open; Tuesday-Saturday 10-5 and Sunday 12-5.
- You can volunteer a whole day or just a few hours. You can find a time that works for you and become a regular!
- We need volunteers Fridays to ride with a store staff member around the Upper Valley and pick up donated items. (10-4). Need to be able to lift 40 pounds and go up and down stairs.
- We need volunteers every day we are open to help with customer service, cleaning, painting and organizing merchandise that has been donated.
VOLUNTEER Schedule 2017
Please contact me if you want to volunteer but do not see an opening that works for you.
I will work with you to find something. We need you!
Fridays: Help ReCOVER Store staff with donation pick ups around the Upper Valley, 10 am – 5 pm. Need to be willing to lift 40 pounds. 1 volunteer needed each Friday. Call or write to see if the Friday you want to help is available. 802-296-7241 x 106.
Thursday, May 4, 9-4
Painting in Orford, NH
FILLED by Upper Valley Humanists
Thursday and Friday, May 4 and 5, 9-4
Carpet removal and floor installation in Woodstock, Vermont
Thursday-1 volunteer needed
Friday, May 5, 9-4
Repair railing and decking in Grafton, NH
FILLED by community members
Saturday, May 6, 9-4
Roof build in Claremont, NH
FILLED by St Thomas Church
Wednesdays, May 10 and 24, 10-4
Donation pick ups with COVER store staff
1 volunteer needed
Thursday, May 11, 9-4
New front steps and entry roof in Hartland, VT
3 volunteers needed
Friday, May 12, 9-4
Gutters and skirting in WRJ,VT
2 volunteers needed
Saturday, May 13, 9-4
Install new metal roof over shingles in Springfield, VT
5 volunteers needed
Thursday and Friday, May 18 and 19, 9-4
Roofing a mobile home in WRJ,VT
Thursday- 1 volunteer needed
Friday-FILLED by Coop Food Stores
Friday and Saturday, May 19 and 20, 9-4
Metal roof on a mobile home and floor repair in Springfield, VT
Friday-4 volunteers needed
Saturday-6 volunteers needed
Thursday and Friday, May 25 and 26, 9-4
Roof building in Springfield, VT
Thursday- 5 volunteers needed
Friday-5 volunteers needed
Friday, May 26, 9-4
Roof building in Springfield, VT
Friday-1 volunteer needed
Mary Sutton-Smith, Volunteer Coordinator
(802) 296-7241 ext.104
Imagine that in order to make your house warm, safe and dry you accepted a group of strangers from different walks of life into your home. We reflect on what that might feel like, and how we’d wish those strangers would act in our homes. We keep that in mind as we spend time in homeowners’ spaces.
We build community by approaching each other with respect and empathy. We appreciate your help and we hope you are excited to get to know your neighbors. It may have taken a lot of courage to step forward and ask for help. We thank the homeowners for inviting us into their homes.